Our London friends had a great March trip to the Chesapeake Bay area of Maryland, including Annapolis, St. Michaels and Easton, which has inspired us to visit the area sometime soon during our next visit to Washington DC. They stayed in a rustic airbnb cottage in Claiborne, on the water near St. Michaels. (And got very lucky with the weather, which cooperated!) They enjoyed the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Park in the area.
Here’s some suggestions from our friend Nell who lived in the area!
- Cantlers Riverside Inn,South of Annapolis ( close to Bay Bridge on way to Eastern Shore)
- Pier Street Marina in Oxford,
- Crab Claw in St. Michaels next to Maritime Museum
- Harris Crab House in Grasonville , near Kent Narrows ( after you cross Bay Bridge to Eastern Shore).
- Harrison’s Chesapeake Restaurant – historical old place on on an narrow peninsula that sticks out into bay. Interesting views, Tilghman Island. (West of St. Michael’s)
- Tidewater Inn in Easton- historical inn and restaurant
Also- Annapolis best for walking- harbor town on Bay.
- Two important walking circles- Church Circle and State Circle.
- Naval Academy is right off town, facing harbor.
- Can get to Cantlers – the back way ( instead if Rte. 50) and then continue over Bay Bridge. Annapolis also has lots of old taverns . Check to see if Cantlers is open in March.